This coming Sunday, March 20th will be a day of new beginnings for a nation that’s been in turmoil longer than the eyes of the media have been on it. Haiti will have a run-off election between two individuals, Mirlande Manigat (a law professor and former first lady) and Michel “Sweet Micky” Martelly (a popular singer). The results will not be announced until April 16th.
As most of you know, this country has become a piece of my heart over the last year, and in working with One Vision, I’ve begun to see the need for more to be done in Haiti. You can read about the trip I am taking on the Haiti 2011 page. Over the next few weeks, I am asking you to pray specifically in these areas (from One Vision):
- a free and fair election process, where all citizens are afforded the opportunity to participate, according to constitutional regulations
- a valid, clear and impartial election of either candidate
- the international community unanimously agrees upon the results
- any protests or contestations of the results are limited and conducted in a civil and humane manner
- that the results would unify the country and set them on the correct path to recovery as a nation